Conflict of Interest in Research at Universities: A pioneer investigation in Jordan
- Conflict of Interest,
- Jordanian University,
- Scientific Research
Copyright (c) 2019 EPH - International Journal of Educational Research (ISSN: 2208-2204)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Conflict of interest (COI) is defined as a circumstance that might create a risk that professional judgments or actions regarding a primary interest, such as research, education or patient care, will be unduly influenced by a secondary interest, such as financial gain or personal prestige. The aim of this article is to examine the management of conflict of interest in ten public and ten private Jordanian universities. Sufficient literature review was performed on the COI policies and regulation. Unfortunately, no sufficient COI information has been found from the published research regulations on the universities’ websites. Additionally, the legislation enforced by Ministries of higher education is presented. To conclude, there is a major need for regulation improvement, especially in the management of COI and its declaration processes. University leaders should assess the sufficiency of their COI management systems. Therefore, universities are urged to give immediate attention to reviewing and strengthening their COI policies. The regulations of funding for scientific research, as well as publication rules are not very different for public or private Jordanian universities.
- Merriam-webster, (2018).
- N. Walliman, Research methods : the basics. London; New York: Routledge, 2011.
- B. L. a. M. J, Conflictof interest in Medical Research,Education,and Practice. Washington DC: National Academies Press (US), 2009.
- T. L. Carson, "Conflicts of interest," Journal of Business Ethics, journal article vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 387-404, May 01 1994.
- A. G. Dunn, E. Coiera, K. D. Mandl, and F. T. Bourgeois, "Conflict of interest disclosure in biomedical research: a review of current practices, biases, and the role of public registries in improving transparency," Research Integrity and Peer Review, journal article vol. 1, no. 1, p. 1, May 03 2016.
- U. o. Limerick. (2009, May). Conflict of Interest. Available: https://www.ul.ie/.../CONFLICTS%20of%20INTEREST-May-2009.doc
- Intranet.birmingham.ac.uk. (2010, July). Protocol on conflict of interest. Available: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/hr/documents/public/conflict-interest.pdf
- "Law No. (23), for the year 2009, Law of Higher Education and Scientific Research No. (23), for the year 2009," Available: http://www.mohe.gov.jo/en/GovPapers/law%20of%20higher%20education%20and%20scientific%20research%201.pdf
- J. David B. Resnik, "Conflicts of Interest in Scientific Research Related to Regulation or Litigation," The journal of philosophy, science & law. , p. 12, 2007.
- "UK Research and Innovation," ed, 2018.
- "Cloumbia University ", ed, 2018.
- "Council on Governmental Relations," ed, 2000.
- C. R. MacKenzie and B. N. Cronstein, "Conflict of Interest," (in eng), Hss j, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 198-201, Sep 2006.
- I. o. Medicine and N. R. Council, Integrity in Scientific Research: Creating an Environment That Promotes Responsible Conduct, Review of the Federal Strategy for Nanotechnology-Related Environmental, Health, and Safety Research. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2002, p. 216.
- U. o. S. California. (2013, March 1). Conflict of Interest in Research. Available: https://policy.usc.edu/research-conflict-interest/
- "University of OXFORD," ed.
- "Scientific Research Support Fund (1) for 2012. University of Jordan," Available: http://research.ju.edu.jo/ar/arabic/Pages/ResearchAndFundingRegulations.aspx
- "System No. (7) of 2013, Scientific Research System at Princess Sumaya University for Technology Issued under Article (f) of Article (36) of the Law of the Official Universities of Jordan No. (20) for the year 2009 and amended by Law No. (16) of 2013," Available: http://www.psut.edu.jo/content/instructions-1