The Impacts of Creative Writing Activities on Iranian EFL Learners’ Progress in Writing, Writing Dispositions: Focus on Attitude to English Course
- creative writing,
- writing disposition,
- English course attitude,
- writing achievement
Copyright (c) 2019 EPH - International Journal of Educational Research (ISSN: 2208-2204)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This research aimed to investigate the impact of creative writing activities on Iranian EFL learners’ progress in writing skill, writing dispositions and their attitude to English. One group pre and posttest design was used in the study. The study was carried out in a private English language institute. The study group was consisted of 21 female and 19 males in total 40 pre-intermediate students. After analyzing the data, it was found that students’ progress in writing skill was increased after the experiment. Students’ writing disposition was also increased when compared to their levels before the experiment. However, students’ attitude to English course was not increased after the experiment. Findings revealed that utilizing creative writing exercises has a positive impact on writing achievement and writing disposition in pre-intermediate English language classes in private English language institutes.
- Aghaie, R., & Zhang, L. (2012). Effects of explicit instruction in cognitive and metacognitive reading strategies on Iranian EFL students’ reading performance and strategy transfer. Instruction Science, 40, 1063–1081. DOI 10.1007/s11251-011-9202-5.
- Al-Qahtani, A. & Lin, M. (2016). The Impact of Creative Circles on EFL Learners’ Reading Comprehension. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 6 (8), 1519-1530. DOI: 10.17507/tpls.0608.01
- Azadi, G., Biria, R., & Nasri, M. (2018). Operationalising the Concept of Mediation in L2
- Teacher Education. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 9(1), 132-140.
- Baker, A. (2013). Exploring Teachers' Knowledge of Second Language Pronunciation Techniques: Teacher Cognitions,
- Observed Classroom Practices, and Student Perceptions. TESOL Quarterly, 48(1), March 2014, 136-16. DOI: 10.1002/tesq.99.
- Baş, G. (2012). İlköğretim İngilizce dersine yönelik tutum ölçeği: geçerlik ve güvenirlik çalışması. International Online Journal of Educational Sciences, 4(2), 411-424.
- Bee, M., Goh, S. & Kamaruzaman, J. (2013). Habits of Mind in the ESL Classroom. English Language Teaching; 6(11), 130-138.
- Burgess, J. (2012). The impact of teaching thinking skills as habits of mind to young children with challenging behaviors. Emotional and Behavioral Difficulties, 17 (1), 47-63
- Burgess, J. (2012). The impact of teaching thinking skills as habits of mind to young children with challenging behaviors.
- Emotional and Behavioral Difficulties, 17 (1), 47-63.
- Colantone, L., Cunnigham-Wetmore, M. & Dreznes, J. (1998). Improving creative writing. Retrieved from ERIC database (ED420077).
- Creech, J., & Hale, G. (2006). Literacy in science: A natural fit. The Science Teacher, 5, 22-27.
- Creswell, J. W. (2003). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative and mixed method approaches (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.
- Demir, T. (2013). İlköğretim öğrencilerinin yaratıcı yazma becerileri ile yazma özyeterlik algısı ilişkisi üzerine bir çalışma. International Journal of Turkish Literature Culture Education, 2(1), 84-114.
- Eckhoff, A. and Urbach, J. (2008). Understanding Imaginative Thinking During Childhood: Sociocultural Conceptions of Creativity and Imaginative Thought. Early Childhood Education Journal, 36, 179-185.
- Ellis, R., & Shintani, N. (2014). Exploring language through second language acquisition research. London: Routledeg.
- Fletcher, J. (2013). Critical Habits of Mind. Liberal Education, 99 (1).
- Essex, C. (1996). Teaching creative writing in the elementary school. Retrieved from ERIC database. (ED391182).
- Hamidreza, F., & Hashemi, M. (2016). The effect of cooperative strategies versus concept visualization on reading
- comprehension ability of intermediate EFL learners, Theory and practice in language studies, Vol. 6, No.4, pp. 686-692.
- Hashemifardnia, A., Namaziandost, E., & Sepehri, M. (2018). The effectiveness of giving grade, corrective feedback, and corrective feedback-plus-giving grade on grammatical accuracy. International Journal of Research Studies in Language Learning, 8 (1), 15-27.
- Hosseini, E. Z., Nasri, M., & Afghari, A. (2017). Looking beyond teachers’ classroom behavior: novice and experienced EFL teachers’ practice of pedagogical Knowledge to Improve Learners’ Motivational Strategies. Journal of Applied Linguistics and Language Research, 4(8), 183-200.
- İşeri, K. & Ünal, E. (2010). Yazma eğilimi ölçeğinin Türkçeye uyarlanması. Eğitim ve Bilim, 35(155), 104-117.
- Larkin, S. (2009). Socially mediated metacognition and learning to write. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 4, 149-159.
- Leblanc, C., & Fujieda, M. (2012). Investigating effects of topic control on lexical variation in Japanese university students’ in class timed-writing. Humanities Review, 17, 241-253.
- Maley, A. (2015). Overview: Creativity–the what, the why and the how. In A. Maley & N. Peachey (Eds.), Creativity in the English language classroom (pp. 6–13). London: British Council.
- McVey, D. (2008). Why all writing is creative writing. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 45(3), 280-289.
- Mirshekaran, R., Namaziandost, E., & Nazari, M. (2018). The Effects of Topic Interest and L2 Proficiency on Writing Skill among Iranian EFL Learners. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 9(6), 1270-1276.
- Monis, M. & Rodriques, M. V. (2012). Teaching creative writing in English language classroom. Indian Streams Research Journal, 2(10).
- Namaziandost E., & Nasri, M. (2019). A meticulous look at Long’s (1981) interaction hypothesis: does it have any effect on speaking skill? Journal of Applied Linguistics and Language Research, 6(2), 218-230.
- Namaziandost, E., & Ahmadi, S. (2019). The Assessment of Oral Proficiency through Holistic and Analytic Techniques of Scoring: A Comparative Study. Applied Linguistics Research Journal, 3(2), 70–82.
- Namaziandost, E., Abedi, P., & Nasri, M. (2019). The Role of Gender in the Accuracy and Fluency of Iranian Upper-intermediate EFL Learners’ L2 Oral Productions. Journal of Applied Linguistics and Language Research, 6(3), 110-123
- Namaziandost, E., Nasri, M., & Rahimi Esfahani, F. (2019). Pedagogical Efficacy of Experience-Based Learning (EBL) Strategies for Improving the Speaking Fluency of Upper-intermediate Male and Female Iranian EFL Students. International Journal of Research in English Education, 4(2), 29-41.
- Namaziandost, E., Nasri, M., & Rahimi Esfahani, F. (2019). Texts with Various Levels of Hardness, Reading Comprehension and Reading Motivation: I+1 Versus I-1. ELT Forum: Journal of English Language Teaching, 8(1), 60-77
- Namaziandost, E., Rahimi Esfahani, F., Nasri, M., & Mirshekaran, R. (2018). The Effect of Gallery Walk Technique on Pre-intermediate EFL Learners’ Speaking Skill. Language Teaching Research Quarterly, 8, 1–15.
- Nasri, M. & Biria, R. (2017). Integrating multiple and focused strategies for improving reading comprehension and l2 lexical development of Iranian intermediate EFL learners. International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literature, 6(1), 311-321.
- Piazza, C. L. and Siebert, C. F. (2008). Development and validation of a writing dispositions scale for elementary and middle school students. The Journal of Educational Research,101(5), 275-285.
- Stepanek, L. (2015). A creative approach to language teaching: A way to recognise, encourage and appreciate students' contribution to language classes. In A. Maley & N. Peachey (Eds.), Creativity in the English language classroom (pp. 98–103). London: British Council.
- Sternberg, R. J. (2009). The Psychology of Creative Writing. Cambridge University Press.
- Temizkan, M. (2011). The effect of creative writing activities on the story writing skill. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 11(1), 933- 939.
- Threadkell, J. E. (2010). Seeking new perspectives on self-selected and teacher-assigned texts: Exploring adolescent readers’ experiences (Doctoral dissertation). University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada.
- Tüfekçioğlu, B. (2010). Yazma becerisinin bazı değişkenler açısından incelenmesi. Dil Dergisi, 149, 30-45.
- Tütüniş, B. and Küçükali, S. (2014). The impact of creative writing on foreign language (English) proficiency development. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 1(2).
- Wolf, J. (2013). Exploring and contrasting EFL learners’ perceptions of text-book assigned and self-selected discussion topics. Language Teaching Research, 17, 49-66.