Corporate Governance in State Owned Enterprises: A case Study of Namibia Housing Enterprises (NHE)
- Good governance,
- Strategic Plan
Copyright (c) 2019 EPH - International Journal of Humanities and Social Science (ISSN: 2208-2174)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The issues of good corporate governance has emerged to be matters of serious concern in State-Owned Enterprises. So much scholarly articles have been published all over the world about good corporate governance, thus, guidelines, practice and principles. Namibian State-Owned Enterprises (SOEs) have been under criticism publicly over the poor governance in recent times. This report reviews the governance at one of Namibia’ State-Owned-Enterprises, NHE which was under public criticism over its governance recently. This paper seeks to understand the causes of poor governance in State Owned Enterprises in Namibia. The data used in this research paper is drawn from literature available and interview conduct with NHE employees on good governance. The findings of the research paper points out to inexperienced Board members, lack of transparency and openness, the size of the structures of the Board, imbalanced Board in terms of skills and knowledge, lack of diversity, size and Board compositions.
- Thornberry, Neal E. "Corporate Entrepreneurship: Teaching Managers to be Entrepreneurs." Journal of Mangement Development (2003): 329-344. Document
- Lomboleni, A. (2015). “Why most Namibian SOEs Boards of Directors are Ineffective?”.
- Hendrickse, J. W. & Hendrikse, L. H. (2012). Corporate Governance Handbook: Principle and Practice. 2nd Edition, Juta, Cape Town.
- Kang, H., Cheng, M., and Gray, S.J. 2007. Corporate governance and board composition: diversity and independence of Australian boards. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15(2): 194-207.
- King Committee on Governance (2009).
- King Report II on Corporate Governance For South Africa (2002).
- Masawi, T. (2017). State-Owned Enterprises worst in Corporate Governance.
- Mubwandarikwa, I. (2013) An Exploration of Corporate Governance and Performance of State-Owned-Enterprises: A case study of TransNamib in Namibia.
- National Housing Enterprise Strategic Plan 2017/2018-2022/23
- New Era Newspaper Namibia, 01-08-2016. “NHE in Breach of own Act, Court rules” Available online at https://www.newera.com.na/2016/08/01/nhe-breach-act-court-rules/ (Accessed 16 February 2018)
- OECD (2014) Guidelines on the Governance of State-Owned Enterprises for Southern Africa. Available online at https://www.oecd.org/daf/ca/SOE-Guidelines-Southern-Africa.pdf (Accessed 16 February 2018)