Intestinal intussusception secondary to jejunal adhesions in adult : a rare cause of postoperative obstruction
- Gastric bypass,
- Intestinal obstruction,
- Postoperative periods,
- Tissues adhesions
Copyright (c) 2019 EPH - International Journal of Medical and Health Science (ISSN: 2456 - 6063)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Although intussusception is always seen in children, its occurrence in adults is an exceptional situation. Postoperative intussusception is uncommon and few cases have been reported in the literature. We present the case of a 51-year-old woman with jejunal postoperative intussusception. She underwent gastrojejunal anastomosis for pyloric stenosis two weeks earlier. The symptomatology was a bowel obstruction, which was initially thought to be an early postoperative adhesions. The lack of improvement despite medical treatment led to a surgical exploration that helped to the right diagnosis. Intussusception has been related to jejunal adhesions. Manual reduction was made with removal of adhesions. Postoperative period was uneventful. Adult intussusception is uncommon, often caused by tumors. Early surgical revision is the rule to avoid nutritional impact of a chronic postoperative subocclusion.
- Franchi S, Martelli H, Paye-Jaouen A, Goldszmidt D, Pariente D. Invagination intestinale aiguë du nourrisson et de l’enfant. EMC-pédiatrie 2005, 2(1), 45-57.
- Miloudi N, Bayar R, Gharbi W, Manai S, Sadri BA, Marsaoui L et al. L'invagination intestinale postopératoire chez l'adulte. Tunis Med 2010; 88(10): 768-70.
- Azar T, Berger DL. Adult intussusception. Ann Surg 1997; 226: 134-138.
- Gupta RK, Agrawal CS, Yadav R, Bajracharya A, Sah PL. Intussusception in adults: institutional review. Int J Surg 2011; 9(1): 91-5.
- Eke N, Adotey JM. Postoperative intussusception, causal or casual relationships?. Int Surg 2000; 85(4): 303-8.
- Furuya Y, Wakahara T, Akimoto H, Long CM, Yanagie H, Yasuhara H. A case of postoperative recurrent intussusception associated with indwelling bowel tube. World J Gastrointest Surg 2010; 2(3): 85-88.
- Chaves YD, Destefani AC. Pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment of dumping syndrome and its relation to bariatric surgery. Arq Bras Cirg Digest 2016; 29:116-9
- Amr MA, Polites SF, Alzghari M, Onkendi EO, Grotz TE, Zielinski MD. Intussusception in adults and the role of evolving computed tomography technology. Am J Surg 2015; 209(3): 580-3.
- Ahmad S. Hussain, Rajalakshmi Warrier & Harry T. Papaconstantinou. Small Bowel Intussusception Causing a Postoperative Bowel Obstruction Following Laparoscopic Low Anterior Resection in an Adult. Bayl Univ Med Cent Proc 2014; 27(2):128-130.
- Mahalingam S, Ramkumar A, Mishra N. Adult post-operative jejunojejunal intussusception following Ivor-Lewis esophagectomy. Trop Gastroenterol 2012;33(1):71-3.